Monday, March 15, 2010

Je ne suis pas Sasha Fierce

I find the need to be honest and up front with you. I know that usually, when such a prefix is required, what most often follows cannot be considered even a far and distant limb of the Honest and Upfront family tree...but trust me, I gain no benefit from making this story up.

I used to be a lawyer. I used to be a lot of other things too (leader of a post-toddler union movement at kindergarten, Deans List pupil with honours in Hollandaise, Secretary of the World Rib Eye Steak Consumption Collective, self-proclaimed dictator of the fictitious nation state of Brie) but finance lawyer feels to me like something I should declare.

I hope that my now recent past does not stand between us...but I am long used to the glazed look which abducts people shortly following this revelation.

Done with all these pre-emptive apologies and preludes I can now get to the good stuff. My current self...in summary form!

I broke my heart (more correctly it was broken for me, but fingers and blame are not the new black truffle).
I evaluated my life.
I evaluated my stomach.
I evaluated my life savings whilst satisfying my stomach.
I decided not to buy that house.
I decided that all foods should be treated equally (except tofu).
I quit my beige office in my grey city.
I bit off everything I could ever chew and more and moved to Paris to study a Diplome de Cuisine at Le Cordon Bleu.

I wholly expect a young cliche to approach me in the street and say he is a great fan of my work.  I only hope Marian Keyes does not do the same.

La Femme du Fromage. A name inspired by the father of a good friend who bestowed me with the proper noun Cheese Girl (you see, everything does sound better in French) when witnessing my deep and unwavering adoration for the construct known as the cheese platter. Yes, me and the cheese platter. Good times.

So there you have Me. Exfoliating daily in 'My New Life' (most girls don a new haircut, I don a life dream, or devour a life dream more correctly).

This blog is a little bit of everything I hope to eat, or have consumed, in my new city. Inevitably, food (my second favourite thing in the world), recipes, restaurants, culinary (and other) secrets and gastronomic destinations dominate (without bringing too much WWF lexicon to this cyberspace), but eating isn't just intended for my mouth and stomach...I'm enjoying (perhaps not) and sharing (only if it's not indivisibly good) this city in every way with an open mind, an unapologetic laugh and an appetite like no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment